Dog accidentally inhales 8cm stick up nose and it’s only discovered month later

An adorable puppy was left needing emergency treatment after getting a stick the width of a new iPhone stuck up her nose.

After blood began gushing from her nose, springer spaniel Meg, 18 months old, was rushed to a veterinary specialists and emergency hospital.

The vets and her owners were shocked to discover the puppy had somehow managed to inhale an 8cm stick.

The stick had been stuck up her nose for a month and had begun to cause severe bleeding.

Vet Chiara Giannasi, who discovered the stick, said: “It was an amazing case and I have never removed anything so huge from a dog’s nose before!

“Meg arrived here as an emergency referral as she was suffering a worrying nasal discharge but no-one could understand why.

“We immediately performed a CT scan and endoscopy, which involves the use of a flexible fibre-optic camera, to try to identify the problem.

“We were astonished to find an 8cm stick stuck in her nose.”

Meg’s owner, David Sherwood, 67, was shocked to discover the cause of Meg’s bleeding.

The retired farmer and his wife, Sally, had noticed that Meg had been sneezing a lot more as the past month, but did not realised this was an attempt to dislodge the stick stuck up her nose.

He said: “You’d think something so long would be sticking out the end of her nose, yet you couldn’t see anything!

“I was absolutely amazed and when I showed photos of the offending stick to some of my friends and associates afterwards, they couldn’t believe it either.”

David, from Fylingdales, in North Yorkshire, said he had assumed Meg’s month-long sniffing and sneezing would clear up on its own.

He said that the stick must’ve got stuck when they were in Scotland on holiday.

David said: “I remember Meg was running through a plantation of young trees and suddenly came out sneezing.

“I thought she may have inhaled a piece of grass or a grass seed and never imagined it was something far more dramatic.

“I just thought it would work its way out eventually and that’s what seemed to have happened because, at first, she seemed fine, with just the occasional sneeze.”

Then, a month later her sneezing got so bad that blood was coming out of her nose.

David immediately knew something was seriously wrong and took Meg to the emergency vets.

He said: “They couldn’t actually see anything in her nose either but they were sure something untoward was there because of Meg’s obvious distress and all the blood, so they sent us to Wear Referrals.

“She was admitted on the Monday morning and by this time we were very worried and concerned it might be a serious infection or cancer.

“You can’t imagine our relief when Chiara told us she had sorted the problem by removing an 8cm piece of stick that had become lodged in Meg’s nose. It was amazing.”